Sunday, December 8, 2019

Christmas party clothes

It's December - just a few weeks till Christmas, so here are some outfits to dazzle in during the festivities.

First of all, we went to Zara.  Trinny Woodall is never out of there and I saw some really fab pieces in one of her recent YouTube vids, so having liked what I saw I wanted to hit Zara first and have fun picking out pieces and putting outfits together in there.

There were lots of great pieces, but most of the time I saw they were playing it safe by having so much black and not enough colour - yeah I know you don't want to see a red wine stain on your dress but do we have to have so much black?  Is black still the epitome of sophistication?

Sophie who modelled for me tried on the brilliant top with the very GOT sleeves which had a white lining.  I'd have loved to have put that top with white trousers or a white skirt but there wasn't a single self coloured white bottom in the store.  The pink peplum top had to be teamed with a kidswear skirt (so, size 8s, you can wear Zara kids 13-14 :)  )  There were some lovely bright things like the blue sequin dress, and there was a similar purple version.



I'd have much preferred to have white trousers or a skirt with this top.




The leather effect top is lovely,, and the feather trim trousers are fun and cute.


We loved the black dress with multi colour sparkles throughout, and I love these shoes. 

Next was TopShop - my all time favourite which never lets me down.  I'll probably still be shopping there when I'm eighty, and why the hell not?  We had fun picking things out and trying them on Sophie.



First we went for the jumpsuits for discotastic sparkles - sequins always cheer you up.  And there was the lovely one shoulder one in black which is such a good fit and cut really well.


These were my fave shoes in TopShop.


Next was a dress (which I ended up buying (I'd seen it during the week when I was doing Westender pick ups and loved it), and the purple skirt and black chiffon blouse.  The blouse has got a really lovely sheen to it.

Last was good old Frasers, and up to the third floor for the fab shiny pieces.  The fairy lights outside the store, and the hundreds of lights hanging from each level on the balcony were gorgeous and gave a lovely feeling but it could be so much more.  To be completely honest we felt a bit disappointed, on the second floor the mannequins were in boring non festive looks,  there was no exciting Christmassy enticement and not much cohesion throughout the store; the womenswear departments on the second and third floors were very stand alone.  If it's meant to be Harrods-esque then it's going to have to sing louder than that to get the right attention.

There were plenty of stand alone pieces - I'll have to go back and get a photo of the sequin tiger pattern dress.  I'll let you imagine what it's like in the meantime - but a bit of a challenge to put looks together across brands.



I love the bright pink Ted Baker coat, it's gorgeous, and looked best with the red Little Mistress dress.  My favourite was the Biba marabou jacket which I put with a blouse and skirt from French Connection.  Sophie's choice was the blue dress by Serenity & Grace.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what you can find in Glasgow city centre for party season - there's lots of choice from the high street stores, and I think these picks are the best.

Thanks to Sophie Neill for modelling, and Lauren McAndrew as able and willing assistant.










No comments:

Post a Comment

The accidental Singer sewing machine revolution By Tim Harford

By Tim Harford ( taken from  bbc.co.uk/news/business ) Gillette adverts  stand against toxic masculinity . Budweiser  makes speciall...